Dr. Pradip Jamnadas, MD has researched and discovered that calcium supplements may not be for you. Check out his video below.
Tag Archives: health effects
9 Plants That Absorb Radiation For Easy EMF Protection
Plants that absorb radiation, including EMF radiation, can be an important part of your whole-house EMF protection strategy. As a bonus, many of …9 Plants That Absorb Radiation For Easy EMF Protection
The Forever Dog
Check out Dr. Karen Becker DVM holistic medicine. Best book for you about your family member.
A little something about Karen Shaw Becker . She is the most followed veterinarian in the world, and for good reason. Dr Becker believes in a deliberate, common sense approach to creating and maintaining vibrant health for companion animals and an unconventional, integrative approach to addressing disease and re-establishing wellbeing in ill pets. This refreshing, proactive approach that intentionally focuses on creating or restoring wellbeing has been embraced by millions of pet lovers around the world.
Dr. Becker’s Bites
We are excited to introduce Dr. Becker’s Forever Dog Bites. This unique one-of-a-kind treat was crafted by years of research that can be found in the newly released book, “The Forever Dog.”
Superfoods for Getting Over Food Poisoning
Food poisoning is an all-encompassing term involving the consumption of contaminated food, stomach flu, stress, drug interactions, nutrient …Superfoods for Getting Over Food Poisoning
DO YOU SUFFER FROM HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE? SODIUM, IT’S IN EVERYTHING…
If you are suffering from High Blood Pressure the culprit could be sodium.
Have you been reading the labels lately?
I had stopped reading the labels for a couple of years knowing I had read the labels for the items I had chosen. I was shocked to see the changes. Today it seems all products contain some sort of sodium. If you are reading your labels as you shop you will notice SODIUM even when it says “NO ADDED SALT, LOW SALT and LOW SODIUM”.
For optimal heart-health, the American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium daily. Too much salt, says Dr. Pollak from MAYO Clinic, can increase your blood pressure, in turn, increasing your risk for a heart attack or stroke.
As you can see in the chart below the changes are constant. Today one slice of white bread has 130mg of sodium. Bottled Water has Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate which equals to 5mg per 1 cup. More and more products are hiking up the sodium count so watch your labels.
What shocked me the most was milk and water!!!
I didn’t realize no matter what type of organic, fancy expensive or regular cheap cow milk the sodium levels were no less than 120mg of sodium in a one cup serving. WOW, I searched every label in the dairy section just to find that some milks went even higher.
Water, really!!! Adding sodium to every bottled water. Not only sodium, flavoring and natural minerals. Natural minerals, already known to be in water. Minerals are removed when reverse osmosis takes place to filter out the harmful additives. This is no joke. Next time you buy water check it out.
I always shy away from processed meats, processed cheeses and spreads, canned soups and frozen food as much as possible. These are products that can contain thousands of milligrams of sodium. The manufactures use sodium as a natural preservative. It is widely used in all foods.
You can no longer trust the same brand to continue to have the same ingredients as weeks and months go by. It had only been 1 year since I had last read the labels on some of the staple products I buy each week. Big changes in those foods happened and I wasn’t paying attention. I was intaking so much sodium I had 6 heart attacks in 4 days thinking it was heart burn. Yeah it was heart burn alright. I thought I was doing my healthy life style eating habits but I slipped up and stopped paying attention.
So Remember… READ YOUR LABELS
WARNING: New Coronavirus Symptom Appears On Skin
Recently, French Dermatologists revealed that they may have stumbled onto a new COVID-19 symptom.
There are many strains, forms or types of this virus that have all originated from one original virus. It has come in many forms over the years. Animal related to human to slaughtering of millions of chickens throughout the world. Now COVID-19 drops in and kills thousands accross the world. Closes many countries including the USA, right when becoming happy and financially secure once again was actually happening.
We already know the usual symptoms are a dry or constant cough, shortness of breath, fever, flu-like symptoms and headaches. All of these are already proven to be COVID-19 symptoms of a person suffering from the COVID-19 virus.
However, newer symptoms related to the corona virus form COVID-19 are starting to appear as scientists, doctors and experts fighting time to get more information to get a handle on this COVID-19 virus.
Now dermatologists in France have found the virus can cause unusual manifestations on the skin that might signal infection.
According to the New York Post, the French National Union of Dermatologists-Venereologists (SNDV), found dermatological signs like pseudo-frostbite, hives, blisters and persistent redness have been associated with COVID-19. The sudden redness can be painful, said the doctors.
FRANCE – SNDV REPORTS in a press release.: “We are alerting the public and the medical profession in order to detect these potentially contagious patients as quickly as possible.
The doctors advised patients to seek medical consultations in the event they experience such symptoms.
According to The Hospitalist, skin manifestations were also observed in one-fifth of a group of patients with COVID-19 in the Alessandro Manzoni Hospital in Lecco, in northern Italy.
Honestly, DOES ANYONE KNOW What We Are Dealing With?
IS THERE DANGER? Organic CBD VS. Synthetic
Organic CBD VS. Synthetic Crystal Science?
The FDA has stated that CBD is not a treatment for serious illnesses such as cancer, Diabetes and Alzeheimer’s.
CBD can take any where from 30 minutes to four hours to take effect. The effects can last up to 6 to 8 hours.
Over Dosing America
So if that chewy cookie contains 30 milligrams and the adult reccomended adult dosage is 5 milligrams, if you eat the entire cookie you will be over dosing yourself.
What CBD does treat is in lotions for pain releif, tinctures for pain relief and stomach issues. These products along with the edibles have been said to releive many ailments.
Recreational Users: Dont be fooled about the potency. If you are inhaling THC from smoking the product, edibles with CBD is much more potent and a different “High”.
Where THC can treat MANY bI pOLAR, aNXIETY, pANIC aTTACK mental issues by just smoking to calm someone
Cancer patients use THC by consuming and smoking the product. Patients releave nausea and increase their apatite also by smoking.
According to KUSH.COM:
Over the past decade, the cannabis- and hemp-derived compound cannabidiol (CBD) as well as other cannabinoids have taken center stage in the ongoing revolution of natural medicine. This is mostly due to the work of medical researchers, who through numerous independent studies have found evidence of various medicinal and therapeutic properties in CBD. Today, both natural and synthetic CBD is commonly used around the world to ameliorate symptoms of a wide variety of disorders. These include:
- Chronic pain disorders such as arthritis
- Seizures and epilepsy
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
- Inflammatory disorders such as gout or IBD
- Anxiety disorders
- Vascular and circulatory problems
It’s worth noting that evidence of CBD’s potential health benefits recorded in scientific literature are from studies analyzing pharmaceutical-grade CBD, which is very different from the CBD products available to the public. As of this writing, there is only one CBD oil approved by the FDA for prescription: a product called Epidiolex. Physicians are still generally hesitant to prescribe CBD, and usually recommend it as a supplementary form of home medication.
Naturally-Sourced CBD: Where It Comes From & Why That’s a Good Thing
Aside from the work of medical researchers, there is an impressive amount of anecdotal evidence supporting the idea that naturally-sourced CBD products can reduce or improve the severity of symptoms related to a variety of conditions; from panic attacks to obsessive compulsive disorder.
Some independent studies have even found that naturally-sourced CBD can cause appreciable improvement in symptoms related to the early stages of dementia, such as mood swings, aggravation and disruption of circadian rhythms. This is due in large part to the fact that natural CBD comes from two plants chock-full of health-positive compounds: cannabis and hemp.
KUSH.COM ALSO SAID:
The Dangers of Synthetic CBD & Natural Cannabinoid Analogs
With the skyrocketing popularity of the legal whole-plant cannabis industry, several companies have sought to simultaneously increase profits and reduce production time by creating synthetic CBD and cannabinoids. These are man-made chemicals typically synthesized with either fluoride or bromide, and designed to emulate the effects of naturally-sourced CBD and cannabinoids. They are then touted as “just as effective” with “no side effects.”
A key study by the Journal of Medical Phyto Research in Los Gatos, California analyzed the catabolic enzyme production of two control groups over 22 weeks; the first taking natural CBD and the second taking synthetic CBD. The second group showed dangerous levels of Alanine Amino Transferase (ALT) and Aspartate Amino Transferase (AST), two enzymes recruited to remove the synthetic CBD from their bodies. The study concluded that the human body is not equipped to properly catabolize synthetic cannabinoids.
In the summer of 2018, the FDA issued a statement warning of the “significant health risks of synthetic cannabinoid products” and linked their usage to “severe illnesses and even deaths” in several cases over the past few months in a number of states across America.
So the proof is there for safe use of CBD and THC for many different illnesesses.
KETO DIET… Not all Hype
The ketogenic diet is all about eating the right foods in the right proportions. When you get it right, it’ll trigger your body to start burning stored fat.
Is it a Diet or is it a Lifestyle change? That’s the question… Are you seeking to medically repair an illness or weight loss permantely.
In the 1920’s it was medically introduced to treat epilepsy in children. Today it helps diabetics regulate their blood sugar levels. It’s also being introduced to cancer patients for weight control.
Yes, you can use it as a diet method and loose the weight you need and go back to the same old lifestyle. But, by returning to sugar and yeast you are creating a YO-YO diet lifestyle. It’s better to try and balance a nutrious diet.
What foods can you eat?
- full-fat cheese and other dairy products
- plain Greek yogurt
- non-starchy and fibrous vegetables
- along with smaller amounts of meats, eggs and fish, become keto diet mainstays.
You’ll need to sharply limit carbohydrates
- bread and baked goods
- breakfast cereals
- starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes
- corn and peas
Does it really work for weight loss?
Yes — but that answer comes with a qualifier. It takes two to three weeks on the diet to start fat burning (ketosis) in the body. So, don’t expect instant results. Some studies have shown that adhering to low- or very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets helps people lose weight. However, long term there is little difference between a ketogenic diet and a higher carbohydrate diet.
Ketogenic diet for Epilepsy
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children and now for adults.
The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain function.
However, if little carbohydrate remains in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source.
An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.
Around half of children and young people with epilepsy who have tried some form of this diet saw the number of seizures drop by at least half, and the effect persists even after discontinuing the diet.
Some evidence indicates that adults with epilepsy may benefit from the diet, and that a less strict regimen, such as a modified Atkins diet, is similarly effective.
SOURCE: Mayo Clinic
Testing healthy people for lung cancer
People with an increased risk of lung cancer may consider annual lung cancer screening using low-dose CT scans. Lung cancer screening is generally offered to people 55 and older who smoked heavily for many years and are otherwise healthy.
Discuss your lung cancer risk with your doctor. Together you can decide whether lung cancer screening is right for you.
Tests to diagnose lung cancer
If there’s reason to think that you may have lung cancer, your doctor can order a number of tests to look for cancerous cells and to rule out other conditions.
Tests may include:
- Imaging tests. An X-ray image of your lungs may reveal an abnormal mass or nodule. A CT scan can reveal small lesions in your lungs that might not be detected on an X-ray.
- Sputum cytology. If you have a cough and are producing sputum, looking at the sputum under the microscope can sometimes reveal the presence of lung cancer cells.
- Tissue sample (biopsy). A sample of abnormal cells may be removed in a procedure called a biopsy. Your doctor can perform a biopsy in a number of ways, including bronchoscopy, in which your doctor examines abnormal areas of your lungs using a lighted tube that’s passed down your throat and into your lungs; mediastinoscopy, in which an incision is made at the base of your neck and surgical tools are inserted behind your breastbone to take tissue samples from lymph nodes; and needle biopsy, in which your doctor uses X-ray or CT images to guide a needle through your chest wall and into the lung tissue to collect suspicious cells. A biopsy sample may also be taken from lymph nodes or other areas where cancer has spread, such as your liver.
Careful analysis of your cancer cells in a lab will reveal what type of lung cancer you have. Results of sophisticated testing can tell your doctor the specific characteristics of your cells that can help determine your prognosis and guide your treatment.
Tests to determine the extent of the cancer
Once your lung cancer has been diagnosed, your doctor will work to determine the extent (stage) of your cancer. Your cancer’s stage helps you and your doctor decide what treatment is most appropriate.
Staging tests may include imaging procedures that allow your doctor to look for evidence that cancer has spread beyond your lungs. These tests include CT, MRI, positron emission tomography (PET) and bone scans. Not every test is appropriate for every person, so talk with your doctor about which procedures are right for you.
The stages of lung cancer are indicated by Roman numerals that range from 0 to IV, with the lowest stages indicating cancer that is limited to the lung. By stage IV, the cancer is considered advanced and has spread to other areas of the body.
You and your doctor choose a cancer treatment plan based on a number of factors, such as your overall health, the type and stage of your cancer, and your preferences.
In some cases, you may choose not to undergo treatment. For instance, you may feel that the side effects of treatment will outweigh the potential benefits. When that’s the case, your doctor may suggest comfort care to treat only the symptoms the cancer is causing, such as pain or shortness of breath.
During surgery your surgeon works to remove the lung cancer and a margin of healthy tissue. Procedures to remove lung cancer include:
- Wedge resection to remove a small section of lung that contains the tumor along with a margin of healthy tissue
- Segmental resection to remove a larger portion of lung, but not an entire lobe
- Lobectomy to remove the entire lobe of one lung
- Pneumonectomy to remove an entire lung
If you undergo surgery, your surgeon may also remove lymph nodes from your chest in order to check them for signs of cancer.
Surgery may be an option if your cancer is confined to the lungs. If you have a larger lung cancer, your doctor may recommend chemotherapy or radiation therapy before surgery in order to shrink the cancer. If there’s a risk that cancer cells were left behind after surgery or that your cancer may recur, your doctor may recommend chemotherapy or radiation therapy after surgery.
Radiation therapy uses high-powered energy beams from sources such as X-rays and protons to kill cancer cells. During radiation therapy, you lie on a table while a machine moves around you, directing radiation to precise points on your body.
For people with locally advanced lung cancer, radiation may be used before surgery or after surgery. It’s often combined with chemotherapy treatments. If surgery isn’t an option, combined chemotherapy and radiation therapy may be your primary treatment.
For advanced lung cancers and those that have spread to other areas of the body, radiation therapy may help relieve symptoms, such as pain.
Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells. One or more chemotherapy drugs may be given through a vein in your arm (intravenously) or taken orally. A combination of drugs usually is given in a series of treatments over a period of weeks or months, with breaks in between so that you can recover.
Chemotherapy is often used after surgery to kill any cancer cells that may remain. It can be used alone or combined with radiation therapy. Chemotherapy may also be used before surgery to shrink cancers and make them easier to remove.
In people with advanced lung cancer, chemotherapy can be used to relieve pain and other symptoms.
Stereotactic body radiotherapy, also known as radiosurgery, is an intense radiation treatment that aims many beams of radiation from many angles at the cancer. Stereotactic body radiotherapy treatment is typically completed in one or a few treatments.
Radiosurgery may be an option for people with small lung cancers who can’t undergo surgery. It may also be used to treat lung cancer that spreads to other parts of the body, including the brain.
Targeted drug therapy
Targeted drug treatments focus on specific abnormalities present within cancer cells. By blocking these abnormalities, targeted drug treatments can cause cancer cells to die.
Many targeted therapy drugs are used to treat lung cancer, though most are reserved for people with advanced or recurrent cancer.
Some targeted therapies only work in people whose cancer cells have certain genetic mutations. Your cancer cells may be tested in a laboratory to see if these drugs might help you.
Immunotherapy uses your immune system to fight cancer. Your body’s disease-fighting immune system may not attack your cancer because the cancer cells produce proteins that blind the immune system cells. Immunotherapy works by interfering with that process.
Immunotherapy treatments are generally reserved for people with advanced lung cancer.
People with lung cancer often experience signs and symptoms of the cancer, as well as side effects of treatment. Supportive care, also known as palliative care, is a specialty area of medicine that involves working with a doctor to minimize your signs and symptoms.
Your doctor may recommend that you meet with a palliative care team soon after your diagnosis to ensure that you’re comfortable during and after your cancer treatment.
In one study, people with advanced non-small cell lung cancer who began receiving supportive care soon after their diagnosis lived longer than those who continued with treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation. Those receiving supportive care reported improved mood and quality of life. They survived, on average, almost three months longer than did those receiving standard care.
CANCER: Proton Therapy
SOURCE: Mayo Clinic
What is proton Therapy
Proton therapy is a type of radiation therapy — a treatment that uses high-energy beams to treat tumors. Radiation therapy using X-rays has long been used to treat cancers and noncancerous (benign) tumors. Proton therapy is a newer type of radiation therapy that uses energy from positively charged particles called protons.
Proton therapy has shown promise in treating several kinds of cancer. Studies have suggested that proton therapy may cause fewer side effects than traditional radiation, since doctors can better control where the proton beams deposit their energy. But few studies have directly compared proton therapy radiation and X-ray radiation, so it’s not clear whether proton therapy is more effective in prolonging lives.
Proton therapy isn’t widely available in the United States.
This is the machine that delivers the treatment.
Why it’s done
Proton therapy is used as a treatment for cancer and some noncancerous tumors. Proton therapy may be used as the only treatment for your condition. Or it may be used in conjunction with other treatments, such as surgery and chemotherapy.
Proton therapy is sometimes used to treat:
- Brain tumors
- Breast cancer
- Cancer in children
- Eye melanoma
- Esophageal cancer
- Head and neck cancers
- Liver cancer
- Lung cancer
- Pituitary gland tumors
- Prostate cancer
- Tumors affecting the spine
- Tumors in the base of the skull
Clinical trials are investigation proton therapy as a treatment for a number of other types of cancer.
Proton therapy can cause side effects as the cancer cells die or when the energy from the proton beam damages healthy tissue.
Because doctors can better control where proton therapy releases its highest concentration of energy, proton therapy is believed to affect less healthy tissue and have fewer side effects than traditional radiation therapy. Still, proton therapy does release some of its energy in healthy tissue.
What side effects you experience will depend on what part of your body is being treated and the dose of proton therapy you receive.
In general, common side effects of proton therapy include:
- Mouth, eating and digestion problems
- Hair loss around the part of your body being treated
- Skin redness around the part of your body being treated
- Soreness around the part of your body being treated
How you prepare
Before you undergo proton therapy, your health care team guides you through a planning process to ensure that the proton beam reaches the precise spot in your body where it’s needed.
Planning typically includes:
- Determining the best position for you during treatment. During radiation simulation, your radiation therapy team works to find a comfortable position for you during treatment. It’s imperative that you lie still during treatment, so finding a comfortable position is vital. To do this, you’ll be positioned on a table that will be used during your treatment. Cushions and restraints are used to place you in the correct position and to help you hold still. Your radiation therapy team will mark the area of your body that will receive the radiation. Depending on your situation, you may receive temporary marking with a marker or you may receive permanent tattoos.
- Planning the path of the protons with imaging tests. Your radiation therapy team may have you undergo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computerized tomography (CT) scans to determine the area of your body to be treated and how best to reach it with the proton beams.
Consider the cost
Proton therapy is a newer form of radiation therapy that may be more expensive than traditional radiation therapy with X-rays. Not all insurance policies cover proton therapy. When considering your treatment options, work with your health insurance provider to understand what costs are covered by insurance and which costs you’ll be expected to pay.
What you can expect
During proton therapy
You typically undergo proton therapy five days a week for several weeks. However, in some cases, you may undergo only one or only a few treatments, depending on your condition. The actual proton therapy treatment may take only a minute or so, but expect to spend 30 to 45 minutes preparing before each treatment session.
You may also undergo weekly CT verification scans to see if the dose you receive needs to be recalculated based on changes in weight, or tumor size and shape, depending on your situation.
To prepare, you’ll be positioned on a table. Cushions and restraints will be used to hold your body still. Then you’ll undergo an imaging test, such as an X-ray or CT scan, to make sure your body is in the same precise position before each treatment.
Your radiation therapy team will then leave the room and go to an area where they can monitor you. They can still see and hear you.
What you experience next depends on the type of proton therapy machine your treatment team uses:
- A proton therapy machine that rotates around you. If you’re undergoing proton therapy with a machine called a gantry, you’ll be placed on a table that is slowly slid into the circular opening of the machine. The machine rotates around you to direct proton beams at precise points on your body.
- A proton therapy machine that doesn’t move. If you’re undergoing proton therapy with a fixed-beam machine, the table you’re positioned on will move and the proton therapy machine will remain still. The movement of your table during treatment is controlled remotely by your radiation therapy team. How often your table moves during treatment depends on your situation.
You won’t be able to feel the radiation during your proton therapy treatment.
After proton therapy
Once your treatment session is complete, you can go about your day. You won’t be radioactive or give off radiation.
Side effects of radiation usually develop over time. You may experience few side effects at first. But after several treatments you may experience fatigue, which can make it feel like your usual activities take more energy or that you have little energy for everyday tasks. You may also notice a sunburn-like skin redness in the area where the proton beams are directed.
Your doctor may recommend periodic imaging tests during and after your proton therapy to determine whether your cancer is responding to the treatments. How often you’ll undergo scans depends on your situation.
ASK YOUR DOCTOR WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE BEFORE YOU DECIDE ON A TREATMENT.
CBD Vs. THC
CBD = Healing / Pain Relief NO HIGH
TCH = Gets you High.
So much to be discovered in the world of CBD treatments. As soon as we all get away from the stigma that has been placed on a wonderful plant that can help with so many illnesses in so many ways.
Other countries have been testing and experimenting with their patients and CBD for many years, since the early 1920’s. Some say the Egyptians treated illnesses with CBD Hemp Marijuana dates back 3000 years. During the early years of this planet they used herbs and plants native to their areas to use as medicine. This plant was placed on this earth for a reason. Every plant on this earth has a medicinal use of some sort. Some we can even use as poison to kill off bad cells in our bodies. Natural medicine is the answer for so many medical uses .
It was prohibition that caused the medical society to put CBD Hemp Tinctures on the back burner and call it “A MONSTER” that created people to act crazy. We all know that was Alcohol and is to this day and not CBD , Marijuana, Hemp, Grass, Pot and Etc nicknames.
Actually all products and Bi-Products of THC does not make the people go all crazy. Actually opposite of that. They are very mellow and avoid any type of aggressive behavior unlike what we see with alcohol.
CBD is non-psychoactive because it does not act on the same pathways as the Psychoactive counterparts. These pathways in the brain, called CB1 receptors, are responsible for the psychoactive effects. The .3% or less standard has been established by the FDA as a trace amount with no psychoactive impacts on the human brain.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally occurring cannabinoid constituent of cannabis. It was discovered in 1940 and initially thought not to be pharmaceutically active. It is one of at least 113 cannabinoids identified in hemp plants, accounting for up to 40% of the plant’s extract. As of 2018 in the United States, Food and Drug Administration approval of cannabidiol as a prescription drug called Epidiolex for medical uses has been limited to two rare forms of childhood epilepsy.
Cannabidiol can be taken into the body in multiple different ways, including by inhalation of cannabis smoke or vapor, as an aerosol spray into the cheek, and by mouth. It may be supplied as an oil containing only CBD as the active ingredient (no added THC or terpenes), a full-plant CBD-dominant hemp extract oil, capsules, dried cannabis, or as a prescription liquid solution.
Crystal Isolates is a high-end vapor liquid and oral drops infused with premium CBD rich hemp oil.
The research continues after several people have died from vaping THC and Vaping.
Side effects of CBD include sleepiness, decreased appetite, diarrhea, fatigue, malaise, weakness, sleeping problems, and others. It does not have intoxicating effects like those caused by THC, and may have an opposing effect on disordered thinking and anxiety produced by THC. CBD has been found to interact with a variety of different biological targets, including cannabinoid receptors and other neurotransmitter receptors. The mechanism of action of CBD in terms of its psychoactive and therapeutic effects is not fully clear.
Are you in need of some sleep? Edibles are a wonderful way to get your medicine dispensed so you can get a good nights rest. Many are available in todays market.
PLEASE RESEARCH YOUR PRODUCTS BEFORE YOU CONSUME ANY TYPE OF THC OR CBD OIL.
CDC reports that Vitamin E Acetate could be responsible for the deaths of 54 as of December 20, 2019…
CDC is confident that Vitamin E acetate is strongly linked to the EVALI outbreak. In a second report in the New England Journal of Medicine, CDC scientists found Vitamin E acetate in lung fluid washings, what we call bronchioloalveolar lavage samples in 48 of 51 samples of patients with EVALI but not in a variety of comparison patient groups. The patients with EVALI came from 16 different states, suggesting this was not a single local supplier of tainted products. These expanded patient clinical specimen results are consistent with previous work including identification by FDA and others of Vitamin E acetate in THC-containing products collected from patients with EVALI, as well as Minnesota’s recent report that Vitamin E acetate was in seized THC products from 2019 but not in any samples from 2018.
Given all of these findings, including today’s study, we can conclude that what I call the explosive outbreak of cases of EVALI can be attributed to exposure to THC-containing vaping products that also contained Vitamin E acetate. I want to stress that this does not mean that there are not other substances in e-cigarette or vaping products that have or are capable of causing lung injury. We know that a persistent small proportion of EVALI cases do not report use of THC-containing vaping products.
Key Facts about Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products
Key Facts about Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products
- Electronic cigarettes—or e-cigarettes—are also called vapes, e-hookahs, vape pens, tank systems, mods, and electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).
- Using an e-cigarette is commonly called vaping.
- E-cigarettes work by heating a liquid to produce an aerosol that users inhale into their lungs.
- The liquid can contain: nicotine, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinoid (CBD) oils, and other substances, flavorings, and additives. THC is the psychoactive mind-altering compound of marijuana that produces the “high.”
Some of these products contain antifreeze / engine coolant. These products are harmful and can cause death if used improperly. Prolonged exposure or high concentrations of vapor or mist may cause mild irritation of the respiratory respiratory and headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, disturbances of the central nervous system, involuntary eye irritation. If swallowed may cause death if not given emergency services.
WOMEN AND HOLIDAY STRESS…TIRED, CHEST PAIN, LEG PAIN, HEART ATTACK
IT’S THE HOLIDAY SEASON AND HERE COMES ALL THE STRESS!!!
ARE YOU DREAMING OF DANCING LOLLIPOPS AND WALTZING WITH GINGERBREAD MEN?
I highly doubt you are feeling all warm and dreamy about Christmas at this point. D-Day is tomorrow and you are behind on getting all the goodies under the tree. Baking cookies and treats for your spectacular day to celebrate with family and friends.
It’s time to take a minute to check on yourself… Litterly sit yourself down and take a 5 minute break. If you are feeling tired or even exhausted to the point where you don’t feel well.
Don’t wait to get help if you experience any of these heart attack warning signs. Some heart attacks are sudden and intense. But most start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Pay attention to your body and call 911 if you experience:
DONT HESITATE CALL 911
Symptoms vary between men and women
As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain (angina) or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or jaw pain.
Learn about the warning signs of heart attack in women.
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
- As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.
Watch video: “Just A Little Heart Attack” – a short film directed by and starring Elizabeth Banks
This is just a few of the warning signs prior to a heart attack.
- Leg pain night or day
- Sudden Rise in Blood Pressure
- Shortness of Breath
Top 10 Myths About Cardiovascular Disease
American Heart Association… 10 MYTHS Of HEART DISEASE
Top 10 Myths About Cardiovascular Disease
- “I’m too young to worry about heart disease.” How you live now affects your risk for cardiovascular diseases later in life. As early as childhood and adolescence, plaque can start accumulating in the arteries and later lead to clogged arteries. One in three Americans has cardiovascular disease, but not all of them are senior citizens. Even young and middle-aged people can develop heart problems – especially now that obesity, type 2 diabetes and other risk factors are becoming more common at a younger age.
- “I’d know if I had high blood pressure because there would be warning signs.” High blood pressure is called the “silent killer” because you don’t usually know you have it. You may never experience symptoms, so don’t wait for your body to alert you that there’s a problem. The way to know if you have high blood pressure is to check your numbers with a simple blood pressure test. Early treatment of high blood pressure is critical because, if left untreated, it can cause heart attack, stroke, kidney damage and other serious health problems. Learn how high blood pressure is diagnosed.
- “I’ll know when I’m having a heart attack because I’ll have chest pain.” Not necessarily. Although it’s common to have chest pain or discomfort, a heart attack may cause subtle symptoms. These include shortness of breath, nausea, feeling lightheaded, and pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the jaw, neck or back. Even if you’re not sure it’s a heart attack, call 911 immediately. Learn you risk of heart attack today!
- “Diabetes won’t threaten my heart as long as I take my medication.” Treating diabetes can help reduce your risk for or delay the development of cardiovascular diseases. But even when blood sugar levels are under control, you’re still at increased risk for heart disease and stroke. That’s because the risk factors that contribute to diabetes onset also make you more likely to develop cardiovascular disease. These overlapping risk factors include high blood pressure, overweight and obesity, physical inactivity and smoking.
- “Heart disease runs in my family, so there’s nothing I can do to prevent it.” Although people with a family history of heart disease are at higher risk, you can take steps to dramatically reduce your risk. Create an action plan to keep your heart healthy by tackling these to-dos: get active; control cholesterol; eat better; manage blood pressure; maintain a healthy weight; control blood sugar; and stop smoking.
- “I don’t need to have my cholesterol checked until I’m middle-aged.” The American Heart Association recommends you start getting your cholesterol checked every 5 years starting at age 20. It’s a good idea to start having a cholesterol test even earlier if your family has a history of heart disease. Children in these families can have high cholesterol levels, putting them at increased risk for developing heart disease as adults. You can help yourself and your family by eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly.
- “Heart failure means the heart stops beating.” The heart suddenly stops beating during cardiac arrest, not heart failure. With heart failure, the heart keeps working, but it doesn’t pump blood as well as it should. It can cause shortness of breath, swelling in the feet and ankles or persistent coughing and wheezing. During cardiac arrest, a person loses consciousness and stops normal breathing.
- “This pain in my legs must be a sign of aging. I’m sure it has nothing to do with my heart.” Leg pain felt in the muscles could be a sign of a condition called peripheral artery disease. PAD results from blocked arteries in the legs caused by plaque buildup. The risk for heart attack or stroke increases for people with PAD.
- “My heart is beating really fast. I must be having a heart attack.” Some variation in your heart rate is normal. Your heart rate speeds up during exercise or when you get excited, and slows down when you’re sleeping. Most of the time, a change in your heartbeat is nothing to worry about. But sometimes, it can be a sign of arrhythmia, an abnormal or irregular heartbeat. Most arrhythmias are harmless, but some can last long enough to impact how well the heart works and require treatment.
- “I should avoid exercise after having a heart attack.” No! As soon as possible, get moving with a plan approved for you! Research shows that heart attack survivors who are regularly physically active and make other heart-healthy changes live longer than those who don’t. People with chronic conditions typically find that moderate-intensity activity is safe and beneficial. The American Heart Association recommends at least two and a half hours of moderate intensity physical activity each week For Overall Cardiovascular Health. Find the help you need by joining a cardiac rehabilitation program, but first consult your healthcare provider for advice on developing a physical activity plan tailored to your needs.
CDC: WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT LUNG INJURY FROM VAPING OR E CIGARETTE?
CDC Laboratory Findings Reported November 8, 2019:
- Analyses of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid samples (fluid samples collected from the lungs) of patients with e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury (EVALI) identified vitamin E acetate, an additive in some THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
- CDC laboratory test results of BAL fluid samples from 29 patients submitted to CDC from 10 states found vitamin E acetate in all of the samples.
- THC was identified in 82% of the samples and nicotine was identified in 62% of the samples.
- CDC tested for a range of other chemicals that might be found in e-cigarette, or vaping, products, including plant oils, petroleum distillates like mineral oil, MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil, and terpenes (which are compounds found in or added to THC products). None of these chemicals of concern were detected in the BAL fluid samples tested.
- This is the first time that we have detected a chemical of concern in biologic samples from patients with these lung injuries. These findings provide direct evidence of vitamin E acetate at the primary site of injury within the lungs.
- These findings complement the ongoing work of FDAexternal icon and some state public health laboratories to characterize e-liquid exposures and inform the ongoing multistate outbreak.
About the Outbreak:
- CDC is only reporting hospitalized EVALI cases and EVALI deaths regardless of hospitalization status. CDC has removed nonhospitalized cases from previously reported case counts. See Public Health Reporting for more information.
- As of December 17, 2019, a total of 2,506 hospitalized EVALI cases have been reported to CDC from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and two U.S. territories (Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands).
- Fifty-four deaths have been confirmed in 27 states and the District of Columbia (as of December 17, 2019).
- Although the number of reported cases appears to be declining, states are still reporting new hospitalized EVALI cases to CDC on a weekly basis and should remain vigilant with EVALI case finding and reporting.
About Patient Exposure:
- All EVALI patients have reported a history of using e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
- Vitamin E acetate has been identified as a chemical of concern among people with e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury (EVALI).
- THC is present in most of the samples tested by FDA to date, and most patients report a history of using THC-containing products.
- The latest national and state findings suggest THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly from informal sources like friends, family, or in-person or online dealers, are linked to most of the cases and play a major role in the outbreak.
- CDC has analyzed national data on use of THC-containing product brands by EVALI patients.
- Overall, 152 different THC-containing product brands were reported by EVALI patients.
- Dank Vapes, a class of largely counterfeit THC-containing products of unknown origin, was the most commonly reported product brand used by patients nationwide, although there are regional differences. While Dank Vapes was most commonly reported in the Northeast and South, TKO and Smart Cart brands were more commonly reported by patients in the West and Rove was more common in the Midwest.
- The data further support that EVALI is associated with THC-containing products and that it is not likely associated with a single THC-containing product brand.
What We Don’t Know
- While it appears that vitamin E acetate is associated with EVALI, there are many different substances and product sources that are being investigated, and there may be more than one cause.
What CDC Recommends
- CDC and FDA recommend that people should not use THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly from informal sources like friends, family, or in-person or online sellers.
- Vitamin E acetate should not be added to e-cigarette, or vaping, products. Additionally, people should not add any other substances not intended by the manufacturer to products, including products purchased through retail establishments.
- While it appears that vitamin E acetate is associated with EVALI, there are many different substances and product sources that are being investigated, and there may be more than one cause. Therefore, the best way for people to ensure that they are not at risk while the investigation continues is to consider refraining from the use of all e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
- Adults using e-cigarettes or vaping products as an alternative to cigarettes should not go back to smoking; they should weigh all available information and consider utilizing FDA-approved cessation medicationsexternal icon. They should contact their healthcare provider if they need help quitting tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.
- Adults who continue to use an e-cigarette, or vaping, product should carefully monitor themselves for symptoms and see a healthcare provider immediately if they develop symptoms like those reported in this outbreak.
If you are an adult trying to quit smoking:
- Contact a healthcare provider for help quitting tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.
- Use evidence-based treatments, including counseling and FDA-approved cessation medicationsexternal icon.
If you are concerned about your health after using an e-cigarette, or vaping, product, contact your healthcare provider, or local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Adults with ongoing cannabis (marijuana) use that leads to significant impairment or distress should seek out evidence-based behavioral treatment.
- Effective treatments are available, and recovery is possible. A number of therapy-based treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, contingency management, motivational enhancement therapy, and multi-dimensional family therapy have been shown to be effective.
- Visit Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Treatment Locatorexternal icon to locate treatment in your area or call 1-800-662-HELP (4357).
For adults currently using marijuana/THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products for medical use: We do not know if there are different health effects of using different forms of marijuana, such as smoking, vaping, and edibles, or whether transitioning from one form to another might reduce harm. Talk with your healthcare provider about other available treatment options for the conditions.
- Regardless of the ongoing investigation:
- E-cigarette, or vaping, products should never be used by youths, young adults, or women who are pregnant.
- Adults who do not currently use tobacco products should not start using e-cigarette, or vaping, products. There is no safe tobacco product. All tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, carry a risk.
- THC use has been associated with a wide range of health effects, particularly with prolonged frequent use. The best way to avoid potentially harmful effects is to not use THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products. Persons engaging in ongoing cannabis (marijuana) use that leads to significant impairment or distress should seek evidence-based treatment by a healthcare provider.
Marijuana, CBD and Your Health
DANGER CBD or THC… Toxins In All
What to do when your medicine is in the form of CBD or THC?
Testing your medicine after you receive it from the despesary is going backwards to my train of thought. I’m not sure about you, but I think it should be pure of any toxins when you buy the product.
Where is the tax money from this product going? I think some of it should be going into a Federally Regulated and backed by Uncle Sam. They have legalized it now maintain the quality that is promised.
Today about 1/3 of our population today medicates in some way with CBD or THC. Whether it be smoking, edibles, creams or tonics, we need to be cautious.
As we have seen in the past few weeks that these product are Un-Regulated and have not been federally or even regulated testing for purity from harmful pesticides, heavy metals and other known toxins.
When so many are using these products today. Whether it be for medical use or recreational use, it needs to be regulated so the consumer is protected.
I am guessing that most of these cases will be blamed on “Home Made” recipes bought on the street. But that won’t be the case. As several have already been traced back to some of the dispensaries.
It’s hard to know what’s in that little green bottle or gummy bear…
Researchers have warned that Synthetic Cannabinoids are likly to be the cause to many poisnionings and deaths.
A recent study found a dangerous synthetic, as well as a cough suppressant dextromethorphan, in one manufactures CBD vaping products.
In a recent study on different products from several different manufactures shows that the potency was barely 1/4 percent of the CBD specified percentage stated on the label.
So moral to this story is buyer beware… Ask you government officials for stronger regulations and federally backed testing for potency and purity.
Healthy Affects of Walking.
Did you know that walking can help our bodies fight off the Common cold and Flu?
- A Simple short brisk 5 minute walk after lunch can keep that bug away.
- Walking every day for 5 or 10 minutes. If you have longer, even better. It keeps the circulation in your legs healthy. Healthy legs, Healthy Life.
- Exercises your heart with lite cardio. No strenuous exercises.
- Stanford researchers found that walking boosts creative inspiration. They examined creativity levels of people while they walked versus while they sat. A person’s creative output increased by an average of 60 percent when walking.
- Walking improves cardiac risk factors such as cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, vascular stiffness and inflammation, and mental stress.
- If cardiac protection and a lower death rate are not enough to get you moving, consider that walking and other moderate exercise programs also help protect against dementia, peripheral artery disease, obesity, diabetes, depression, colon cancer, and even erectile dysfunction.
ARE YOU READY… Living Healthy Pays off in The Long Run…..
Walking it off
Exercise burns calories. In the case of walking and running, the calories you burn depend much more on the distance you cover and your body weight than on your pace. This table shows calories burned per mile of walking or jogging on the level for people of varying weights:
A hundred or so calories a mile might not seem like much, but they can add up to better weight control. For example, a 2009 study of 4,995 men and women found that the average American gains about 2.2 pounds a year during middle age. But during the 15-year study, people who walked gained significantly less weight than those who didn’t; the more walking, the less weight gain. And the benefit was greatest in the heaviest individuals. For example, walking for just 35 minutes a day saved a 160-pound person about 18 pounds of flab over 15 years of aging.
Approximate calories per mile
- Regular daily walking has been found to trigger an anti-aging process and help repair old DNA
- Those who engaged in daily moderate exercise, such as a brisk walk, experienced anti-aging benefits that could add an additional three to seven years to your life
- Recommended 20-minute daily walk to reap these benefits, but try striving to walk 10,000 steps a day is a better goal
- Walking is an essential movement that we all require, ideally in addition to a regular exercise program
- Activities like running and working out can reduce anxiety and improve your mood. It’s not just vigorous exercise, however, that has these kinds of benefits. A new study published found that walking may be an effective way to alleviate depression.
- Endorphins are your body’s pain-inhibiting hormones, and exercise walking can spur their release. This means that walking not only helps you maintain your functional capabilities, but it can also reduce your chronic lower back pain.
Clean Water??? PUNA
WHO”S MINDING THE WATER QUALITY
DURING THIS CRISIS???
By Chad Rhodes 6/3/2018 3:30 pm
I am no longer getting my drinking water from Pahoa side. Now going Keaau side. If the methane gas is present who’s to say it has not already penetrated the water table in Pahoa. Where is that water table in Pahoa. Feast your pretty eyes on this. This is why I have brought up these issues. I have not heard any one mention the water source for the Puna District.
Kilauea Aquifer Sector Area Hawaii County
KILAUEA AQUIFER SECTOR AREA
SECTOR AREA PROFILE
The Kilauea Aquifer Sector Area (ASEA) includes the Pahoa , Kalapana , Hilina, and Keaiwa  Aquifer System Areas (ASYA). It captures most of the Puna District and the southeastern portion of the Kau District, and extends along most of the island’s southeastern coastline as far south as Kuhua Bay outside Punaluu. The sector area includes most of the Kilauea Crater and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
Economy and Population
Agriculture is the primary economic function in the Puna District. Vegetables / Papayas in the Kapoho area, flowers in the Pahoa and Kapoho areas, and bananas are the principal products. Truck farming in the Volcano area is also significant. The majority of the State’s papayas and bananas are grown in Puna. Several Marijuana growers due to the sunny, hot, humid days.
The Puna Geothermal Venture (PGV) plant located outside of Kapoho generates 30-MW of electricity using three geothermal wells. Plans were already under way to expand the facility to double its output, but Pele put a stop to that we hope.. PGV had employed 30 people.
Nearly all of the population contributing to the demands from the Kilauea ASEA is within the Puna District. The rate of growth of Puna’s population has slowed in the past few years., but still ranks as the island’s highest. The growth can be attributed to the affordability of residences outside of Hilo and the job opportunities in Hilo. Puna’s status as a “bedroom community” for Hilo is evident from much slower growth in employment, and the worsening traffic on its roads leading into Hilo.
Ok, you have a little better understanding why I have concern. Lager Population, PGV Leaking into Aquifer, Fertilizers used by farmers, cars and other contaminants. Now look at the map and tell me that the Aquifer could not be at risk.
Click on Picture to enlarge image and read complete
So you ask Who’s in Charge
Hawaii County Water Supply
Phone: (808) 961-8050
Call and ask when the last test on the Water Spigot locations in the KILAUEA AQUIFER SECTOR AREA was.
VOG: OUR HEALTH… WHAT IS THIS HAWAII?
WHAT IS VOG???
WARNING: STAY INSIDE YOUR HOMES IF POSSIBLE.
by Chad Rhodes May 8, 2018 10:34 AM
The big question the last few days has been “Whats the VOG going to do to us humans and our pets?”
Noxious sulfur dioxide gas and other pollutants emitted from Kilauea Volcano on the Island of Hawai`i react with oxygen and atmospheric moisture to produce volcanic smog (vog) and acid rain. Vog poses a health hazard by aggravating preexisting respiratory ailments, and acid rain damages crops and can leach lead into household water supplies. The U.S. Geological Survey’s Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is closely monitoring gas emissions from Kilauea and working with health professionals and local officials to better understand volcanic air pollution and to enhance public awareness of this hazard.
Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens are both consumed by noxious gases and are not safe for humans or pets to live in.
Thick, acrid haze has started to cover all of the East side of the island. A resident from Hawaiian Paradise Park, approximately 15 miles from the eruption in Leilani Estates said “for the last 2 days we have had vog and ash. As you can see my fan is covered in what I am assuming is ash from Leilani Estates or Kilauea”.
We were warned early and told that outdoor activities in parks/ beaches might be canceled in affected areas and that schools might need to keep children indoors. People were also warned to be aware of respiratory problems, as these conditions could deteriorate more rapidly in areas of heavier haze. Keep your pets indoors if possible. This choking haze was not caused by a forest fire or industrial pollution but by light winds blowing gas emissions from Leilani Estates and/or Kilauea Volcano into the area.
SO2 is a poisonous gas that irritates skin and the tissues and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and throat. During even moderate physical activity, SO2 penetrates deeply into the airway and can produce respiratory distress in some individuals.
Many residents and visitors on the Island of Hawai`i report physical complaints associated with vog exposure. These complaints include headaches, breathing difficulties, increased susceptibility to respiratory ailments, watery eyes, sore throat, flu-like symptoms, and a general lack of energy. In contrast to SO2 gas concentration near Kilauea, the amount of aerosol particles in Hawaii’s air does not routinely exceed Federal standards, but the unique combination of acidic particles, trace amounts of toxic metals, and SO2 gas in vog may account for the wide variety of physical symptoms reported.
For More Information on Vog please see USGS
Smokeless Tobacco: Health Effects
Smokeless tobacco is associated with many health problems.
Using smokeless tobacco:
- Can lead to nicotine addiction
- Causes cancer of the mouth, esophagus (the passage that connects the throat to the stomach), and pancreas (a gland that helps with digestion and maintaining proper blood sugar levels)
- Is associated with diseases of the mouth
- Can increase risks for early delivery and stillbirth when used during pregnancy
- Can cause nicotine poisoning in children
- May increase the risk for death from heart disease and stroke
Using smokeless products can cause serious health problems.
MAKE EXTRA CASH IN YOUR SPARE TIME!!!
Protect your health; don’t start. If you do use them, quit.
Addiction to Smokeless Tobacco
- Smokeless tobacco contains nicotine, which is highly addictive.
- Because young people who use smokeless tobacco can become addicted to nicotine, they may be more likely to also become cigarette smokers.
Smokeless Tobacco and Cancer
- Many smokeless tobacco products contain cancer-causing chemicals.
- The most harmful chemicals are tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which form during the growing, curing, fermenting, and aging of tobacco. The amount of these chemicals varies by product.
- The higher the levels of these chemicals, the greater the risk for cancer.
- Other chemicals found in tobacco can also cause cancer. These include:
- A radioactive element (polonium-210) found in tobacco fertilizer
- Chemicals formed when tobacco is cured with heat (polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons—also known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons)
- Harmful metals (arsenic, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, lead, nickel, mercury)
- Smokeless tobacco causes cancer of the mouth, esophagus, and pancreas.
Smokeless tobacco, like chew and dip, can cause cancer of the mouth, esophagus, and pancreas.
Smokeless Tobacco and Oral Disease
- Smokeless tobacco can cause white or gray patches inside the mouth (leukoplakia) that can lead to cancer.
- Smokeless tobacco can cause gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss.
Reproductive and Developmental Risks
- Using smokeless tobacco during pregnancy can increase the risk for early delivery and stillbirth.
- Nicotine in smokeless tobacco products that are used during pregnancy can affect how a baby’s brain develops before birth.
- Using smokeless tobacco increases the risk for death from heart disease and stroke.
- Smokeless tobacco can cause nicotine poisoning in children.
- Additional research is needed to examine long-term effects of newer smokeless tobacco products, such as dissolvables and U.S. snus.
We have a few articles covering this subject.
Chemicals in Mac-n-Cheese ?
Chemicals in Mac-n-Cheese ?
I was just talking about how glad I was to see some organic pre-made and boxed Mac and Cheese hitting the shelves. But it still does not stop the ingredient labels from growing tremendously long or missing ingredients from the label entirely. I stopped eating Boxed Mac-n-Cheese (no names) about 10 years ago. The taste had changed dramatically, tasted like chalk and chemicals.
Reading labels started me on a road to eating healthy. The more I read, the more I couldn’t believe they were putting these chemicals in our boxed and processed food. Added sugar and yeast in every box. What is the purpose or reason behind this “bulking” up foods with junk. These products only add to slowing you down like a slug and making you fat.
It’s all about cooking with fresh wholesome ingredients. HOMEMADE… remember that word. It’s really not hard to live a healthy lifestyle. You can still eat out. You have to plan ahead and choose wisely. Go for a better food selection. Not FAST FOOD (name places) or that crap. Freshly Made.. Everything from pasta to grass fed beef. Broiled Meat and Fish, BBQ, fresh made Mexican. Eating from a Mexican taco truck is healthier for you than eating at a FAST FOOD (name places) Joint.
Now there are reports surfacing that Kid’s favorite Mac-n-Cheese is testing positive for phthalates. New testing confirms that chemicals in mac and cheese include a variety of phthalates, these chemicals disrupt the body’s normal hormonal function. Some are even linked to certain cancers.
Phthalates: are a group of chemicals used to make plastics more flexible and harder to break. They are often called plasticizers. Some phthalates are used as solvents (dissolving agents) for other materials. They are used in hundreds of products, such as vinyl flooring, adhesives, detergents, lubricating oils, automotive plastics, plastic clothes (raincoats), and personal-care products (soaps, shampoos, hair sprays, and nail polishes).
Phthalates are used widely in polyvinyl chloride plastics, which are used to make products such as plastic packaging film and sheets, garden hoses, inflatable toys, blood-storage containers, medical tubing, and some children’s toys.
Perhaps what’s most shocking about this recent chemicals-in-mac-and-cheese report, commissioned by the Coalition for Safer Food Processing & Packaging, is that even some organic mac and cheese products contain these endocrine disruptors. And it begs the question, why is the Food and Drug Administration still allowing food-contact use in the U.S. when many European countries banned phthalates in food and moved on to readily available, safer alternatives?
European Union further restricts four phthalates
The European Union is a step closer to prohibiting the use of four phthalates in consumer products. The Socio-Economic Analysis Committee of the European Chemicals Agency voted on June 20 in favor of restricting most uses of the chemicals under the EU’s Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) law.
The four phthalates are butylbenzyl phthalate (BBP), di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP), and diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP). READ MORE
The Time is now to start protecting your family from toxicity
Homemade Mac n Cheese
8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 pinch paprika
Pre-Heat oven 350′
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions
In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat
- Stir in enough flour to make a roux
- Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly
- Stir in cheeses
- Cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick
- Put macaroni in Greased large casserole dish
- Pour sauce over macaroni and Stir well
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat
- Add breadcrumbs and brown
- Spread over the macaroni and cheese
- Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes
Recipe By Judy @allrecipes.com
Don’t Be Fooled By The EGGS Cover… Yummy for your Tummy and Body
Don’t Be Fooled By The EGGS Cover…
Eggs are so nutritious that they’re often referred to as “nature’s multivitamin.”
They also have unique antioxidants and powerful brain nutrients that many people are deficient in.
Here are some reasons why eggs are among the healthiest foods on the planet.
- Whole Eggs Are Among The Most Nutritious Foods on Earth
- One whole egg contains an amazing range of nutrients.
- Just imagine… the nutrients in there are enough to turn a single fertilized cell into an entire baby chicken.
- Eggs are loaded with vitamins, minerals, high quality proteins, good fats and various other lesser-known nutrients.
- One large egg contains (1):
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): 9% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 15% of the RDA.
- Vitamin A: 6% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 7% of the RDA.
- Selenium: 22% of the RDA.
Eggs also contain small amounts of almost every vitamin and mineral required by the human body… including calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, manganese, Vitamin E, Folate and many more.
A large egg contains 77 calories, with 6 grams of quality protein, 5 grams of fat and trace amounts of carbohydrates.
It’s very important to realize that almost all the nutrients are contained in the yolk, the white contains only protein.
That should make you want to eat eggs right now. But here are some more reasons why Eggs are the Healthiest Food on Earth.
- Eggs Improve Your Cholesterol Profile and do NOT Raise Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
- The main reason people have been warned about eggs is that they’re loaded with cholesterol.
- One large egg contains 212 mg of cholesterol, which is a LOT compared to most other foods.
However, just because a food contains cholesterol doesn’t mean that it will raise the bad cholesterol in the blood.
- The liver actually produces cholesterol, every single day. If you eat cholesterol, then your liver produces less. If you don’t eat cholesterol, then your liver produces more of it.
- The thing is, many studies show that eggs actually improve your cholesterol profile.
- Eggs tend to raise HDL (the “good”) cholesterol and they tend to change the LDL (the “bad”) cholesterol to a large subtype which is not associated with an increased risk of heart disease (2, 3, 4).
- One study discovered that 3 whole eggs per day reduced insulin resistance, raised HDL and increased the size of LDL particles in men and women with metabolic syndrome (5).
- Multiple studies have examined the effects of egg consumption on the risk of cardiovascular disease and found no association between the two (6, 7, 8).
However, some studies do show an increased risk of cardiovascular disease in diabetic patients. This needs further research though and probably doesn’t apply on a low-carb diet, which can in many cases reverse type II diabetes (9, 10, 11).
Bottom Line: Studies show that eggs actually improve the cholesterol profile. They raise HDL (the good) cholesterol and increase the size of LDL particles, which should lower the risk of heart disease.
Eggs Are Loaded With Choline, an Important Nutrient For The Brain
- Choline is a lesser-known nutrient that is often grouped with the B-complex vitamins.
- Choline is an essential nutrient for human health and is needed for various processes in the body.
- It is required to synthesize the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and is also a component of cell membranes.
- A low choline intake has been implicated in liver diseases, cardiovascular disease and neurological disorders (12).
- This nutrient may be especially important for pregnant women. Studies show that a low choline intake can raise the risk of neural tube defects and lead to decreased cognitive function in the offspring (13).
- In a dietary survey in the U.S. from 2003-2004, over 90% of people ate less than the daily recommended amount of choline (14)!
- The best sources of choline in the diet are egg yolks and beef liver. One large egg contains 113 mg of Choline.
Eggs Contain High Quality Proteins With a Perfect Amino Acid Profile
- Proteins are the main building blocks of the body and serve both structural and functional purposes.
- They consist of amino acids that are linked together, kind of like beads on a string, then folded into complex shapes.
- There are about 21 amino acids that the body uses to build its proteins.
- The body can not produce 9 of these amino acids, which are deemed as “essential” and must be gotten from the diet.
- The quality of a protein source is determined by its relative amounts of these essential amino acids. A protein source that contains all of them in the right ratios is a good source of protein.
- Eggs are among the best sources of protein in the diet. In fact, the biological value (a measure of protein quality) is often evaluated by comparing it to eggs, which are given the perfect score of 100.
Eggs Are Loaded With Lutein and Zeaxanthin, Which Protect The Eyes
- There are two antioxidants in eggs that can have powerful protective effects on the eyes.
- They are called Lutein and Zeaxanthin, both found in the yolk.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin tend to accumulate in the retina, the sensory part of the eye.
- These antioxidants significantly reduce the risk of Macular Degeneration and Cataracts, which are among the leading causes of vision impairment and blindness in the elderly (15, 16, 17).
- In one study, eating 1.3 egg yolks per day for 4.5 weeks increased blood levels of Zeaxanthin by 114-142% and Lutein by 28-50% (18).
Eggs For Breakfast Can Help You Lose Body Fat
- Eggs contain only trace amounts of carbohydrates, but plenty of protein and fat.
- They score very high on a scale called the Satiety Index, which is a measure of how much foods contribute to satiety (19).
- For this reason, it is not surprising to see studies where eating eggs for breakfast leads to fat loss.
- In one study, 30 overweight or obese women consumed either a breakfast of eggs or a breakfast of bagels. Both breakfasts had the same amount of calories.
- The women in the egg group felt more full and ate less calories for the rest of the day and for the next 36 hours (20).
In another study that went on for 8 weeks, eating eggs for breakfast lead to significant weight improvements compared to the same amount of calories from bagels. The egg group (21):
- Lost 65% more body weight.
- Lost 16% more body fat.
- Had a 61% greater reduction in BMI.
- Had a 34% greater reduction in waist circumference (a good marker for the dangerous abdominal fat).
Not All Eggs Are The Same
It’s important to keep in mind that not all eggs are created equal.
Hens are often raised in factories, caged and fed grain-based feed that alters the final nutrient composition of the eggs. It is best to buy Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs, they are more nutritious and healthier.
However, conventional supermarket eggs are still a good choice if you can’t afford or access the others.
To top things off, eggs are cheap, taste awesome and go with almost any food.
Eggs really are an egg-ceptional super-food.
Eggs Scrambled with Onion, Garlic and Sweet Cherry Tomatoes
Sauté 1/4 sweet onion and a smashed garlic clove over medium-high heat in 1 teaspoon canola or olive oil until almost soft. Add a handful of chopped tomatoes to the pan (or any other vegetables you happen to have, such as chopped spinach, kale, mushrooms or peppers) and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to very low. In a separate bowl, whisk two eggs. Pour eggs into the pan containing the onion, garlic and tomato — add 1 ounce low-fat cheese, if you wish. Stir continuously until eggs are cooked. Pour over toasted, whole rye bread. Bon Appitite…
American Egg Board http://www.incredibleegg.org/