HOMEMADE TAMALES, STEP BY STEP
Authentic Mexican Torta (Sandwich made with Bread).
Let’s start at the ground level. I like the “Bread” to be light and a bit airy. I make my own bread for my tortas. Some people like a texture more towards a French rolls consistency. Which ever way you prefer they will come out perfect every time. I will include the Mexican Bolillos dough recipe below.
There are many choices hot or cold, meat and veggies to put on to your Torta. I have listed a few different ways to make an authentic Mexican torta.
- Carnitas (Slow Roasted Pork): Shredded Pork,
- Carne Asada Beef
- Arrachera Beef (Skirt Steak BBQ)
- Slow Cooked Shredded Beef
- Chicken Shredded
- Fried Chicken Pieces
- Ham and Cheese
- Batter Fried Fish and Shrimp
- All Veggies for the Vegetarian
- The following ingredients are usually served as condiments for the Tortas. Frijoles (Beans), Avocado, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, Jalapenos, Cilantro, Lime juice, Mayonnaise, Green Chili Sauce, Sour Cream, Pico De Gallo, Salsa, Tapatio Hot Sauce.
- Breakfast Torta: Scrambled Egg, Cheese and Bacon, Sausage or Ham and veggies.
The Bread… You can buy some rolls from a Mexican bakery in you area. Or if you are like me, I Love to bake my own. Here’s the recipe I use.
Authentic Bolillos RECIPE
- Slice the roll in half and lightly spread some butter on each half. Toast on a griddle or pan until lightly brown. You can broil if more convient.
- Spread a light coat of Mayonnaise
- Spread your beans (frijoles)
- Green chili sauce
- Meat, veggies or eggs
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce (Tapatio)
- And What Ever Else
Enjoy!!! Bon Appetit
Tender oven roasted pork Carnitas
The Other White Meat.. Healthy Oven Roasted
- 4 lb. Pork Butt
- 6 Fresh Garlic Cloves cut or smashed up
- 3 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Place pork butt fat side down in roasting pan.
- Take your salt and rub on pork
- Turn your pork over to fat side up
- Rub your salt over pork again
- Take a small sharp knife and place slits in the top of pork
- Take your garlic and rub it to the slits
- Take your garlic and rub into the slits (holes)
- Place in oven without the lid for 30 minutes at 400 degrees
- Take pork out of oven. Don’t forget to use your Pot Holders
- Place ¼ cup water in bottom of pan. Do Not pour over pork
- Cover roasting pan and Turn Heat down to 325 for 3 hours.