- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 100 minutes
- Yield: 20 servings +
Yummy Sweet Empanadas filled with apples and cinnamon. Great to make for party appetizers or regular snack size for ice cream ala mode.
Apple Filling Instructions
- 9 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (1 Cube/ Stick)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Peel apples and remove core. Cut in Half and slice length wise 1/4″ thick,, after cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Melt butter in saucepan remove pan from heat
- Add lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and water. Stir together until all is mixed. I let it sit for about 10 minutes so the cornstarch and sugar have a chance to dissolve really good.
- Bring covered pot to a boil and turn to medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes while stirring frequently or until apples are al dente soft. Still Firm
- Remove from heat and let cool. At least 2 hours, better if over night.
- You can make this a few days ahead and refrigerator. Great to prepare and freeze or can it.
- You can buy already made pie crust dough in your stores refrigerated section by the cookie dough if you need it quickly.
- I prefer the HOMEMADE DOUGH listed below.
Dough only makes 1 dozen handy snack size and 20 small appetizer size
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cups (185 ml) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 6-8 tablespoons (90-120 ml) cold water
- Place all you ingredients in the food processor, bread maker or in a bowl and mix till dough is completely mixed.
- Roll dough till 1/8″ thickness. Use Large Cookie, Biscuit cutter, coffee cup for appetizer size or medium sized cereal bowl to make large hand size. Lay on cookie sheet separated with plastic wrap and leave in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm
- (This dough can be made up to 2 days ahead of time, just refrigerate or freeze the circles with wax paper in between.)
- Remove your dough from refrigerator
- Fill circles with desired filling
- Brush edges with water, fold over in half. Press edges together and crimp with fork. This ensures that the filling will stay inside.
- Refrigerate them before baking or frying, especially if you’re making more than a dozen. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Remove from refrigerator
- Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a really good non stick pan. Brush tops with egg wash, olive oil or butter if desired.
- Bake small appetizer empanadas for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown; larger empanadas for 18-25 minutes or until golden.
- Watch closely so they don’t burn.
- Convection oven may be lowered to 375 F
Bon Appetit… Enjoy
- LEFTOVERS: Turkey and Cheese Quesadilla
- Left-Over Turkey In A Pot
- RAISIN ROLL-UP
- RAISIN PASTE
- A Birthday, Marmalade and Cookies — mybeautfulthings
- Butter and Shortening Pie Crust
- APPLE CINNAMON EMPANADAS BAKED
- EGG WASH
- Prune paste
- APPLE CINNAMON FILLING
- BEST PIE CRUST (Butter)
- Authentic Bolillos (Mexican Bread Rolls for Tortas)
- AUTHENTIC MEXICAN TORTAS
- Torta De Cielo (Mexican Almond Cake)
- Prunetastic Feeling
- HAPPY HOLIDAY COOKIE RECIPE’S – Ginger Bread Cookie Cut Outs
- Was Margarine Originally Manufactured to Fatten Turkeys, Which it Killed? True or False???
- BREAKFAST IN BED: French Toast… Simple and Easy…
- GUACAMOLE: Simple Easy
- “PICO DE GALLO”… Summer Tomato Recipes
- Buttery Dinner Roll Dough
- Happy Holiday Milkshakes, Popsicles and Drinks
- Boozy Cupcakes and Treats For A Happier Holiday…
- SIMPLE TUNA CASSEROLE
- Tuna Review: How’s Your Tuna?