Winter is here… Doesn’t matter what part of the country your in tonight.. This winter is predicated to be a doozie. This week has already proven to be a dangerous chilly winter for most..
Flu is caused by influenza virus of Class A, B and C. Flu spreads directly or indirectly from airborne droplets produced during sneezing or coughing.
Following are the symptoms of flu:
- Runny nose
- Postnasal drip
- Reduced sense of smell
- Metallic taste in mouth
- Body pain or muscle pain
- Sore throat
Take Three Actions to Protect Against Flu
- Get Vaccinated
- Take preventive steps
- Get Treatment
Preventive Steps You Can Take NOW
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. After using a tissue, throw it in the trash and wash your hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like flu.
Most of the time flu goes away without treatment. Taking medication can help relieve symptoms. Bed rest will help in faster recovery. Medication
- Antiviral: This is used for treat specific viral infections.
Oseltamivir · Zanamivir
- Antihistamines: It helps to relieve symptoms such as nasal discharge and sneezing.
Brompheniramine · Chlorpheniramine
- Cough suppressants: This may help to relieve cough, in the form of cough drops or cough syrup.
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Take complete rest
- Eat healthy foods
- Practice good hygiene