Remain vigilant about safety in and around the home this winter. Here are three winter hazards to keep in mind.
First, Carbon Monoxide – The Invisible Killer
- Use portable generators outside your home and place them at least 20 feet away from the residence with exhaust pointed away from spaces where it can gather and present a hazard. Never use a generator inside a home, basement, shed or garage. The exhaust from portable generators contains poisonous carbon monoxide (CO), which can kill in minutes.
- Most portable generator-related deaths from CO poisoning occur during the cold months.
- Never leave a car running in a garage, even with the garage door open.
- Install CO alarms in your home on every level and outside all sleeping areas. Test CO alarms monthly.
- See our new video here.
Second, Space Heaters – Give Them Space
- Your space heater needs space. Keep flammable objects, such as curtains, sofas, beds, clothes and papers at least 3 feet away from your space heater at all times.
- Make sure your space heater is placed on a stable, level, flat surface in an area where it can’t be knocked over.
- Turn off space heaters when you are sleeping, or when you leave the room.
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home, outside all sleeping areas, and inside each bedroom. Test smoke alarms once a month to make sure they are working.
Third, Snow Blower Hazards – Clear Snow Safely
- Most snow blower injuries happen when consumers try to clear snow from the discharge chute with their hands.
- NEVER leave a gas-powered snow blower running in an enclosed area. The exhaust contains poisonous carbon monoxide, which can kill in minutes.
- Don’t add gasoline to a running or hot engine, to avoid a fire; and always keep the gasoline in a portable gasoline container with a child-resistant closure to prevent child poisonings.
One more very important thing… Clear the snow away from your gas meter and away from any pipes around that area.
- DID YOU KNOW ? I DID NOT !!! To Rinse, Or Not To Rinse
- It’s Raining Outside… Great Stew Day !!!
- WHAT DOES “A CUP OF JOE” MEAN TO YOU?
- Flower of the Day: 03.12.2016 Protea — Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- HOME PEST CONTROL… Ants YIKES!!!