Wow who knew that very few people have green eyes. I thought it would have been much higher. Here are some fun facts about green eyes.
- Green eyes are the most rare eye color in the world. Only about 2 percent of people in the world have naturally green eyes.
- Green eyes are a genetic mutation that results in low levels of melanin, though more melanin than in blue eyes.
- Green eyes don’t actually have any color. While green eyes appear to observer as green, the irises themselves have no actual pigment.
- 86 percent is the highest concentration of people with green eyes and they are found in Ireland, Scotland, and northern Europe.
- Sixteen separate genes have been identified as contributing to eye color. So, no matter what eye color your parents have, yours could end up being just about any color. Green eyes naturally occur in all races of people.
- There is a village in China called Liqian, in which two-thirds of all inhabitants today have green eyes and blonde hair.
- Green eyes and blonde hair are a rare combination.
- Every baby is born with either brown or blue eyes. It can take between six months and three years for children to develop green eyes.
- Because green eyes have less melanin than brown eyes, people with green eyes are more likely to be extra sensitive to UV rays. The more melanin, the better protection from the sun.